Floyd Mayweather Jnr was due to be start a 90 day prison term last week for domestic violence charges but the judge has pushed the start date back to 1st June.
As a result, Pretty Boy Floyd has publicly called out Manny Pacquiao via Twitter for what is certain to be a multi million dollar showdown in Las Vegas on 5th May. “Manny Pacquiao I’m calling you out let’s fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see. My Jail Sentence was pushed back because the date was locked in. Step up Punk.”
Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter, has responded by saying he wants the fight to go ahead in June due to the construction of a temporary venue in Las Vegas, which would double the usual spectator capacity in a boxing arena, resulting in $40m extra revenue for the fight purse.
“You don’t throw $40 million away,” Arum told the Los Angeles Times, “June 9 is perfect but May 5 is out, that’s impossible.” Arum added that he was willing to help pay lawyer costs for Mayweather to delay the start of his sentence so a June 9 fight with Pacquiao could be possible. “I want to hear, that they’re willing to move to June 9,” Arum said. “Then we can sit down and work out a deal.”
Critics though argue that this is Arum’s way of stalling Pacquiao (54-3) fighting the undefeated Mayweather (42-0). Pacquiao, 33, won a controversial majority decision over Marquez last November in his third fight with the Mexican. Meanwhile Mayweather, 35 in February, knocked out a distracted Victor Ortiz after he dropped his guard during the fourth round of their WBC bout.
Make no mistake, this is the fight everyone wants to see. This is the fight which boxing craves. At a time when controversy and let downs are the highlight of this sport, this is the bout which, for all the right reasons, can put boxing back on the map.
1 reply »